Canines for Service and Canines for Veterans works with local rescues, shelters,and breeders when needed. Puppies and dogs for our programs must meet specific criteria as determined by Canines for Service.
For Canines for Service to consider a puppy donation:
- A foster family must be waiting to raise the puppy.
- A minimum of three puppies are added to the program at one time.
- Pups must be between 7 to 10 weeks of age.
- Pups must pass a multiple point temperament evaluation done by Canines for Service and we select from a group of puppies.
- Certain conditions may prevent Canines for Service from accepting puppies.
Canines for Veterans uses older dogs between one to two years of age from rescues and shelters:
- There must be a need and space to add a new dog into the training program.
- Dogs must be between 1 to 2 years of age.
- Dogs are preferred to be spayed or neutered.
- Dogs are a minimum of 60 pounds at full growth and at least 23 inches at the shoulder.
- Dogs must pass a multiple point temperament evaluation done by Canines for Service.
- Dogs must pass an overall health evaluation including hips evaluation by radiograph.